Monday, October 10, 2011

Staging

Soooooooo, after the butterflies in my stomach kept me awake all last night I was up bright and early this morning to head to staging. HOLY CRAP WE HAVE ARRIVED!!!
Getting to philly was pretty problem free although checking into the hotel was a pain because we had to be here by 12:30 but then none of our rooms were ready until 4:30. Tough luck, so we awkwardly carry around out 100lbs of luggage until they decide to open up a storage room for us.

After storing our luggage most of the PCTs hung out in the lobby as people arrived. We introduced ourselves and got to know each other. We have some truly amazing individuals in our stage. I am awed at the diversity of life paths. Although none of us are above the age of 35 we all bring some unique experiences.  California, Colorado, Washington, Illinois, Louisiana, and Massachusetts are just a few of the states that our PCTs hail from. Truly a diverse crowd.  Its actually rather comforting to have other volunteers struggling with  the idea of a long distance relationship as well. I can see already that some of us will support each other and try to make our relationships work. Long distance is tough, but when someone is worth it, it makes all the difference!

Staging is pretty much a simple orientation where we go through a PC information session. Pretty much reiterating everything that we have ever been told about PC.  "You will live in hardship", "Have no expectations", "But if you do come with expectations, be sure to keep them pretty low". We also did a number of ice breakers. YIPPY! Who doesn't love ice breakers.   I do not know why but there is something especially delicious about knowing nothing about the situation I will be living in for the next two year. I am really excited and the adventurer inside of me is ready to land in Burkina Faso and take my first steps on a new continent!

Sitting through staging, I couldn't help but to smile at the idea that "The" moment is finally here. After such a long application process. THE MOMENT IS HERE!

As we start training on Tuesday, I cannot guarantee when my next blog post will come because we have been led to believe that we will not have any access to the outside world for the next week or more.  Training is pretty hectic as we literally go from 7am until 7pm. DO NOT WORRY IF YoU DO NOT HERE FROM ME! As pc says... "No news is good news". Pretty much saying that its good if you do not hear from me. No worries.

Well that's all for now, but before I go, I want to leave you with pictures of my last meal and drink.
Steak au poivre followed by tequila shots. Most staging groups go to liberty bell to bond and hang out, but no! My stage goes to the bar and gets tequila shots. I can already see that this is the start of some truly amazing friendships.

Best Wishes to everyone back home,


:-)




2 comments:

  1. And right now, as I type this you are boarding the bus to the airport. I am proud, excited, and happy that you are living your dreams. <3 stay safe baby. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Is. Happening! :)

    I texted you to say good luck and safe travels. Dunno if you got it, but same words again, and looking forward to your next post. Meanwhile I try not to FB stalk a girl I met that just came back from Morocco. LOL. Can't wait til my staging. I wish it could be in New Orleans so I could get a homemade shrimp po' boy with a side of gumbo like mom makes. Mmmm good! Ok I'm done talking about food on your blog ;)

    My blog page is a work in progress but the link is: tbirdterp.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete