Monday, June 11, 2012

I Left my Kingdom


A story that really stood out to me from Deepak Chopra's "The Return of Merlin."  Any thoughts?

There once lived a king of India who was visited by a wandering holy man. To show his respect, the king lavished the holy man with every kind of rich food and drink. His begging bowl and staff were taken away, and fresh robes of silk were draped over his body. He was given a feather bed to sleep on and numerous attendants to carry out his slightest wish. One day at banquet before the assembled court the king announced that he was going to make the holy man his prime minister.
“Oh but I cannot accept”, the holy man said.
“Why not?” the king asked. “You will be the most powerful man in the kingdom, excepting only myself”
The holy man replied “But I am more powerful than you already.” At this effrontery the court buzzed like wasp. “I do not mean to offend Your Highness,” the holy man continued. “To show you how touched I am by your offer, I will gladly give you all my power. Follow me.” The holy man rose and called for his begging bowl and staff. Without another word he walked away from the court.
The king could not decide if he was more curious or angry with the old beggar’s boldness, but in the end curiosity won out. He dressed in traveling clothes and followed the holy man on foot.  It was a beautiful morning, and the king enjoyed the journey, which lasted until nightfall. The two weary travelers slept by a stream under the full moon and were up by dawn.

“Do we have much farther to go?” the king asked somewhat anxiously. He was tired, and in the night he had begun to think of his enemies back home. The holy man said nothing but kept walking. Thus they continued for two days.  On the third day they reached the frontier of the kingdom.

“Stop,” the king commanded. “I must turn back.”
“Why?” the holy man asked. “What I want to show you is only a step away.”
The king retorted, “I can go no farther. If I cross the frontier my throne will be seized by my enemies.”
The holy man nodded. “I said that I have a power you can only dream of, and here it is: I can walk away from this kingdom while you, its ruler, cannot. If you want my power, just follow me.”
But the king would not.  With a smile the holy man strode over the frontier, a free spirit, leaving the dejected king to return to his palace.

I feel like I  have left my Kingdom and am somewhat of a free spirit. Liberating.  Anyone out there have any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment